Hi,

On 28-10-2019 12:34, Thomas Zimmermann wrote:
Hi

Am 28.10.19 um 12:26 schrieb Hans de Goede:
Hi Thomas,

On 11-10-2019 15:48, Thomas Zimmermann wrote:
The vboxvideo driver provides its own implementation for fbdev emulation
and framebuffers. Both can be replaced by DRM's generic code.

All patches have been tested on VirtualBox 6.0.12.

Thomas Zimmermann (3):
    drm/vboxvideo: Switch to generic fbdev emulation
    drm/vboxvideo: Switch to drm_atomic_helper_dirty_fb()
    drm/vboxvideo: Replace struct vram_framebuffer with generic
      implemenation

Thank you for these nice cleanups, unfortunately there is a small
bug in the last patch, you are setting:

     .fb_create = drm_gem_fb_create,

But since in the previous patch you switched to drm_atomic_helper_dirty_fb
that should be:

     .fb_create = drm_gem_fb_create_with_dirty,

The missing with_dirty is causing screenupdates under both plymouth and
gnome-shell (with llvmpipe) to gone missing. I'll send a patch fixing
this.

You're right. I did test the patchset, but I can't tell why I didn't see
this bug.

I know you tested the patch-set, since you said so above :)  You probably
are aware of this already, but did you check what vga-card the vm is using?
New vbox VMs default to their new vmware-svga card emulation, in which case
vboxvideo is not used at all, vboxvideo is only used with the older VboxVGA
and VboxSVGA (*) virtual vga-cards.

Anyway, thanks a lot for providing the fix.

You are welcome.

Regards,

Hans

*) Of course once I finally get their driver upstream they deprecate it,
grumble.