Hi Jani

Am 07.04.22 um 10:45 schrieb Jani Nikula:

I think another idea that could work is to use an intermediate symbol.
For DP, drivers would select the tristate DP_HELPER, which in turn
selects tristate DISPLAY_HELPER and boolean DISPLAY_DP_HELPER.  But this
would require a 'useless' symbol DP_HELPER only for convenience.  It's
an even less optimal solution, it seems.

Documentation/kbuild/kconfig-language.rst:

   Note:
        select should be used with care. select will force
        a symbol to a value without visiting the dependencies.
        By abusing select you are able to select a symbol FOO even
        if FOO depends on BAR that is not set.
-->  In general use select only for non-visible symbols
-->  (no prompts anywhere) and for symbols with no dependencies.
        That will limit the usefulness but on the other hand avoid
        the illegal configurations all over.

Most of the difficult Kconfig issues I've encountered over the years
come from not following the above two rules. People break those rules
for "convenience", causing a lot of inconvenience down the line.

I have meanwhile updated the patchset and all new boolean options are internal. No select will be performed on 'visible' symbols. So it should be fine.

Best regards
Thomas

BR,
Jani.