On 2023-08-14 12:18, Steven Price wrote:
On 2023-08-11 17:56, Daniel Stone wrote:
Hi,

On 2023-08-09 17:53, Boris Brezillon wrote:
+obj-$(CONFIG_DRM_PANTHOR) += panthor.o

FWIW I still think it would be nice to have a minor
directory/Kconfig/Makefile reshuffle and a trivial bit of extra
registration glue to build both drivers into a single module. It
seems like it could be a perpetual source of confusion to end users
where Mesa "panfrost" is the right option but kernel "panfrost" is
the wrong one. Especially when pretty much every other GPU driver is
also just one big top-level module to load for many different
generations of hardware. Plus it would mean that if someone did want
to have a go at deduplicating the resource-wrangling boilerplate for
OPPs etc. in future, there's more chance of being able to do so
meaningfully.

It might be nice to point it out, but to be fair Intel and AMD both
have two (or more) drivers, as does Broadcom/RPi. As does, err ... Mali.

Indeed, I didn't mean to imply that I'm not aware that e.g. gma500 is to
i915 what lima is to panfrost. It was more that unlike the others where
there's a pretty clear line in the sand between "driver for old
hardware" and "driver for the majority of recent hardware", this one
happens to fall splat in the middle of the current major generation such
that panfrost is the correct module for Mali Bifrost but also the wrong
one for Mali Bifrost... :/

Well panfrost.ko is the correct module for all Bifrost ;) It's Valhall
that's the confusing one.

Bah, you see? If even developers sufficiently involved to be CCed on the patches can't remember what's what, what hope does Joe User have? :D

I would hope that for most users they can just build both panfrost and
panthor and everything will "Just Work (tm)". I'm not sure how much
users are actually aware of the architecture family of their GPU.

I think at the moment (until marketing mess it up) there's also the
'simple' rule:

* Mali T* is Midgard and supported by panfrost.ko
* Mali Gxx (two digits) is Bifrost or first-generation Valhall and
supported by panfrost.ko
* Mali Gxxx (three digits) is Valhall CSF and supported by panthor.

(and Immortalis is always three digits and Valhall CSF).

With brain now engaged, indeed that sounds right. However if the expectation is that most people would steer clear even of marketing's alphabet soup and just enable everything, that could also be seen as somewhat of an argument for just putting it all together and not bothering with a separate option.

I can see the point, but otoh if someone's managed to build all the
right regulator/clock/etc modules to get a working system, they'll
probably manage to figure teh GPU side out?

Maybe; either way I guess it's not really my concern, since I'm the only
user that *I* have to support, and I do already understand it. From the
upstream perspective I mostly just want to hold on to the hope of not
having to write my io-pgtable bugs twice over if at all possible :)

I agree it would be nice to merge some of the common code, I'm hoping
this is something that might be possible in the future. But at the
moment the focus is on trying to get basic support for the new GPUs
without the danger of regressing the old GPUs.

Yup, I get that, it's just the niggling concern I have is whether what we do at the moment might paint us into a corner with respect to what we're then able to change later; I know KConfig symbols are explicitly not ABI, but module names and driver names might be more of a grey area.

And, to be honest, for a fair bit of the common code in
panfrost/panthorm it's common to a few other drivers too. So the correct
answer might well be to try to add more generic helpers (devfreq,
clocks, power domains all spring to mind - there's a lot of boiler plate
and nothing very special about Mali).

That much is true, however I guess there's also stuff like perf counter support which is less likely to be DRM-level generic but perhaps still sufficiently similar between JM and CSF. The main thing I don't know, and thus feel compelled to poke at, is whether there's any possibility that once the new UAPI is mature, it might eventually become preferable to move Job Manager support over to some subset of that rather than maintain two whole UAPIs in parallel (particularly at the Mesa end). My (limited) understanding is that all the BO-wrangling and MMU code is primarily different here for the sake of supporting new shiny UAPI features, not because of anything inherent to CSF itself (other than CSF being the thing which makes supporting said features feasible). If that's a preposterous idea and absolutely never ever going to be realistic, then fine, but if not, then it feels like the kind of thing that my all-too-great experience of technical debt and bad short-term decisions tells me is worth planning around from the very start.

Thanks,
Robin.