On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 12:27:05PM +0100, Javier Martinez Canillas wrote:
> Geert Uytterhoeven <ge...@linux-m68k.org> writes:
>
> > Hi Javier,
>
> [...]
> >> >

> >> No, that's intended. It's added by the `dim cherry-pick` command, since I
> >> had to cherry-pick to drm-misc-next-fixes the commit that was already in
> >> the drm-misc-next branch.
> >>
> >> You will find that message in many drm commits, i.e:
> >>
> >> $ git log --oneline --grep="(cherry picked from commit" drivers/gpu/drm/ |
> >> wc -l
> >> 1708
> >
> > Ah, so that's why it's (way too) common to have merge conflicts between
> > the fixes and non-fixes drm branches :-(
> >

> I guess so. In this particular case it was my fault because I pushed to
> drm-misc-next with the expectation that there would be a last PR before
> the drm-next tree was sent to Torvalds but I missed for a few hours...
>
> So then I had the option for the fixes to miss 6.7 and wait to land in
> 6.8, or cherry-pick them to the drm-misc-next-fixes branch and pollute
> the git history log :(

Yeah, it's the downside of having so many committers, we have to expect
that people are going to make small mistakes every now and then and
that's ok.

That's also not as bad as Geert put it: merging two branches with the
exact same commit applied won't create conflict. If the two commits
aren't exactly the same then we can indeed create conflicts, but that
would have been the case anyway with or without the "double-commits"

Maxime