Hi,

Sorry, my previous reply got messed up as a result of HTML formatting. This is
a plain text version of the same reply.

>       Having virtio-gpu import scanout buffers (via prime) from other
>       devices means that we'd be adding a head to headless GPUs assigned
>       to a Guest VM or additional heads to regular GPU devices that are
>       passthrough'd to the Guest. In these cases, the Guest compositor
>       can render into the scanout buffer using a primary GPU and has the
>       secondary GPU (virtio-gpu) import it for display purposes.
>
>       The main advantage with this is that the imported scanout buffer can
>       either be displayed locally on the Host (e.g, using Qemu + GTK UI)
>       or encoded and streamed to a remote client (e.g, Qemu + Spice UI).
>       Note that since Qemu uses udmabuf driver, there would be no
> copies
>       made of the scanout buffer as it is displayed. This should be
>       possible even when it might reside in device memory such has
> VRAM.
>
>       The specific use-case that can be supported with this series is when
>       running Weston or other guest compositors with "additional-devices"
>       feature (./weston --drm-device=card1 --additional-devices=card0).
>       More info about this feature can be found at:
>       https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/-
> /merge_requests/736
>
>       In the above scenario, card1 could be a dGPU or an iGPU and card0
>       would be virtio-gpu in KMS only mode. However, the case where this
>       patch series could be particularly useful is when card1 is a GPU VF
>       that needs to share its scanout buffer (in a zero-copy way) with the
>       GPU PF on the Host. Or, it can also be useful when the scanout buffer
>       needs to be shared between any two GPU devices (assuming one of
> them
>       is assigned to a Guest VM) as long as they are P2P DMA compatible.
>

> Is passthrough iGPU-only or passthrough dGPU-only something you intend to
> use?
Our main use-case involves passthrough’g a headless dGPU VF device and sharing
the Guest compositor’s scanout buffer with dGPU PF device on the Host. Same
goal for
headless iGPU VF to iGPU PF device as well.

However, using a combination of iGPU and dGPU where either of them can be
passthrough’d
to the Guest is something I think can be supported with this patch series as
well.

> If it's a dGPU + iGPU setup, then the way other people seem to do it is a
> "virtualized" iGPU (via virgl/gfxstream/take your pick) and pass-through the
> dGPU.
>
> For example, AMD seems to use virgl to allocate and import into the dGPU.
>
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/merge_requests/23896
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/all/20231221100016.4022353-1-
> julia.zh...@amd.com/
>

> ChromeOS also uses that method (see crrev.com/c/3764931
> <http://crrev.com/c/3764931> ) [cc: dGPU architect +Dominik Behr
> <mailto:db...@google.com> ]
>
> So if iGPU + dGPU is the primary use case, you should be able to use these
> methods as well.  The model would "virtualized iGPU" + passthrough dGPU,
> not split SoCs.
In our use-case, the goal is to have only one primary GPU (passthrough’d
iGPU/dGPU)
do all the rendering (using native DRI drivers) for clients/compositor and all
the outputs
and share the scanout buffers with the secondary GPU (virtio-gpu). Since this
is mostly
how Mutter (and also Weston) work in a multi-GPU setup, I am not sure if virgl
is needed.

And, doing it this way means that no other userspace components need to be
modified
on both the Guest and the Host.

>       As part of the import, the virtio-gpu driver shares the dma
>       addresses and lengths with Qemu which then determines whether
> the
>       memory region they belong to is owned by a PCI device or whether it
>       is part of the Guest's system ram. If it is the former, it identifies
>       the devid (or bdf) and bar and provides this info (along with offsets
>       and sizes) to the udmabuf driver. In the latter case, instead of the
>       the devid and bar it provides the memfd. The udmabuf driver then
>       creates a dmabuf using this info that Qemu shares with Spice for
>       encode via Gstreamer.
>
>       Note that the virtio-gpu driver registers a move_notify() callback
>       to track location changes associated with the scanout buffer and
>       sends attach/detach backing cmds to Qemu when appropriate. And,
>       synchronization (that is, ensuring that Guest and Host are not
>       using the scanout buffer at the same time) is ensured by pinning/
>       unpinning the dmabuf as part of plane update and using a fence
>       in resource_flush cmd.
>

> I'm not sure how QEMU's display paths work, but with crosvm if you share
> the guest-created dmabuf with the display, and the guest moves the backing
> pages, the only recourse is the destroy the surface and show a black screen
> to the user: not the best thing experience wise.
Since Qemu GTK UI uses EGL, there is a blit done from the guest’s scanout
buffer onto an EGL
backed buffer on the Host. So, this problem would not happen as of now.

> Only amdgpu calls dma_buf_move_notfiy(..), and you're probably testing on
> Intel only, so you may not be hitting that code path anyways.
I have tested with the Xe driver in the Guest which also calls
dma_buf_move_notfiy(). But
note that for dGPUs, both Xe and amdgpu migrate the scanout buffer from vram to
system
memory as part of export, because virtio-gpu is not P2P compatible. However, I
am hoping
to relax this (p2p check against virtio-gpu) in Xe driver if it detects that it
is running in
VF mode once the following patch series is merged:
https://lore.kernel.org/dri-devel/20240422063602.3690124-1-vivek.kasire...@intel.com/

> I forgot the
> exact reason, but apparently udmabuf may not work with amdgpu displays
> and it seems the virtualized iGPU + dGPU is the way to go for amdgpu
> anyways.
I would really like to know why udmabuf would not work with amdgpu?

> So I recommend just pinning the buffer for the lifetime of the
> import for simplicity and correctness.
Yeah, in this patch series, the dmabuf is indeed pinned, but only for a short
duration in the Guest –
just until the Host is done using it (blit or encode).

Thanks,
Vivek