On Wed, Sep 30, 2026 at 06:43:47PM +0200, Neil Armstrong wrote:
> On 9/30/26 09:44, Linus Walleij wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 3:35 PM Krzysztof Kozlowski <[email protected]> wrote:
> > 
> > > This entire binding seems like stitching two devices together, which
> > > might be fine (I don't even remember this stuff... two months old) or
> > > might be artificial grouping of separate devices.
> > 
> > I think that's a good point and fair pushback.
> > 
> > Neil and Jun talk about it yesterday at XDC (1:15 into the stream):
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tNGW8PoSzw
> > 
> > The current binding does not reflect the physical topology of the
> > actual device, and the bindings need improvements. I have a feeling
> > there is one display controller with two physical panels.
> 
> No there's really 2 controller and 2 separate panels, but they are not
> classic panel, they are a pair of panels+lens which are in front of
> the eyes which forms a single "image" for the brain, so they are
> technically a single display and requires to be hard synchronized.

Yes. However this approach makes it impossible to share the code between
the double-panel drivers and single-panel drivers. I think, that the
panel driver should still reference a single glass+DDIC, while letting
the DSI host driver to handle the bifurcation.

> The R63455 is designed for this exact use case and are only supposed
> to be use in XR application in pair.

yes, but no, but yes, but no. I mean, nothing prevents one from using
this DDIC in some other usecase.

> See it like a single physical panel with 2 controllers which
> shouldn't be used separately. While technically a controller could
> be used to driver single panel, it's likely impossible Synaptics
> would sell this IC for non XR applications.

I think, this was causing an issue with the DSC too. A normal
bonded-DSI-panel-with-DSC and this-double-panel require different widths
to be programmed. Having a panel report real resolution would drop that
quirk from the DSI host driver.

> We want the both panels to be seen at a single big panel because
> physically the human eye will see it as a single display.

That's the CRTC side.

> Describing both panels into separate nodes would only be possible
> if we described a "VR display complex" nodes linked to both panels
> but this would probably be solved by actually describing the "display"
> linked to a DDIC controller and is out of subject for this serie,
> and can be added later when we properly define things.

I like the VR complex idea. In the end, you have two modes which you
most likely might want to support:
- L+R, having double-width CRTC scanning over a double-width framebuffer
- Mx2, having a single-width CRTC and a single-width framebuffer
  displaying the same picture to both eyes. I can imaging that knowing
  about L+R might be an explicit opt-in feature of the DRM interface.

-- 
With best wishes
Dmitry

Reply via email to