On Wed Oct 7, 2026 at 8:33 PM JST, John Hubbard wrote:
> On 10/7/26 5:48 AM, Alexandre Courbot wrote:
>> On Wed Oct 7, 2026 at 12:43 PM JST, Alexandre Courbot wrote:
>>> On Mon Sep 28, 2026 at 5:42 PM JST, Eliot Courtney wrote:
>>> <...>
>>> ... and that's all I could find on this patch. I particularly like how
>>> the examples have turned out!
>> 
>> ... although maybe the Sashiko comments are worth considering too. Nova
>> does depend on little-endian, but it probably wouldn't cost us much to
>> e.g. call `to_le_bytes` instead of `to_ne_bytes` to make the code more
>> portable.
>
> I recall having this conversation before, and I've tried to consistently
> say "no". It's not a real thing, and if it ever becomes one it will be
> a very big deal, not something we would overlook.

I agree on principle when writing endian-neutral code requires some
extra infrastructure or considerably more code, but here we are talking
about trading a call to `to_ne_bytes` for one to `to_le_bytes`, which is
zero effort.

... although the Sashiko warning on `extend_with_padding` *would*
require more than just a method call to properly manage arrays of `u32`
and `u64`, so maybe we don't need to fix them all, or any at all for
that matter since half-fixed code is still broken code.

Reply via email to