On 06/10/2026 18:18, Adrián Larumbe wrote:
> On 2026-10-05 16:06:02+01:00, Steven Price wrote:
>> On 05/10/2026 09:38, Boris Brezillon wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 2 Oct 2026 16:14:38 +0100
>>> Steven Price <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> I don't think this can happen though, because _enable_locked() is
>>> creating a BO (and its GPU mapping) just before enabling the perfcnt
>>> block, meaning the buffer is known to have no dirty cacheline pointing
>>> to it until the first dump happens. And we do flush and invalidate GPU
>>> caches after each dump, so again, we should be covered.
>>
>> The situation isn't actually a dirty cache line at the start, but a
>> stale one. We start off with the memory matching a clean line in the
>> GPU's cache. But because we don't have coherency the clean line can stay
>> even if it's inconsistent with everything else.
>>
>> CPU          |       GPU             | Memory
>> ----------------+-----------------------+--------------------
>>                 | clean line            | matches GPU cache
>> ----------------+-----------------------+--------------------
>>    CPU allocates new buffer and writes zeros
>> ----------------+-----------------------+--------------------
>> Dirty cache line| stale clean line      | unknown (cache line
>>                 |                       | might be evicted)
>> ----------------+-----------------------+--------------------
>>    CPU cleans its own cache to memory
> 
> We're not doing this explicitly for BO memory from the CPU. AFAIK the only 
> way to
> do that manually is calling dma_sync_single_for_device() on physical 
> addresses. I
> suppose this means the reason why the CPU can see up-to-date dump data is 
> because
> a GPU cache flush also invalidates CPU caches for the same lines?

Without coherency between the CPU and GPU then when sharing a buffer
with the GPU there needs to be cache maintenance (otherwise the GPU
might see stale data which is still in RAM, which would be a security
hole). This is because a previous user could have mapped the data
cached. I believe this is done internally within the DMA framework.

For reading the data written by the GPU, again there needs to be cache
maintenance - a flush on the GPU and an invalidate on the CPU. However I
think we map the data on the CPU as write-combining (i.e. uncached) so
there's no need for an explicit invalidate on the CPU - the reads will
bypass the cache.

>> ----------------+-----------------------+--------------------
>> Potential clean | stale clean line      | Matches CPU
>> cache line      |                       |
>> ----------------+-----------------------+--------------------
>>    Start dump without invaliding GPU
>> ----------------+-----------------------+--------------------
>> Potential clean | GPU writes data, and  | Unknown
>> cache line      | hits in the clean line|
>>                 | even though it's stale|
>> ----------------+-----------------------+--------------------
>>    CPU flushes the GPU's cache and invalidates it's own
>> ----------------+-----------------------+--------------------
>> No-cache line   | writes out clean line | Matches GPU
>>
>>
>> Of course for the GPU to have ended up with that stale clean cache line
>> means that the physical memory was previously used for something else on
>> the GPU, so the newly allocated BO has to reuse memory from a previous
>> BO that the GPU has accessed. And it's all "unlikely" due to the small
>> size of the GPU's cache.
>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> I agree, but that's not a case we can hit in the enable path. I think I
>>> mentioned the commit message was misleading, and that we should instead
>>> talk about the fact the GPU is not supposed to have cached anything up
>>> until the first SAMPLE following a the ENABLE step.
>>>
>>>
>>> I think I was the one suggesting dropping this flush so that
>>> panfrost_perfcnt_hw_enable() (in the last patch) has one less fallible
>>> operation. Besides, I find it confusing to have a cache flush+inval in
>>> a path where the GPU is not supposed to have accessed the buffer yet
>>> (or later on, when we re-enable after a RESET, in a path where the GPU
>>> has been reset and the caches are known to be empty).
>>
>> So I agree this Should Be Safe™ because of how the driver is currently
>> using the performance counters. If we really want to drop the invalidate
>> then I think we need a comment explaining the logic. My worry is that
>> someone extends this in the future (e.g. allow selecting which counters
>> to enable) and breaks assumptions without them being documentead.
> 
> Perfcnt ioctl's are currently marked as unstable, but even so, adding the
> initial flush/invalidate back in case anyone ever wanted to redefine the
> uAPI to add support for fine-grained selection of counters shouldn't be
> much of an issue. It's just that, as things stand now, it simplifies error
> handling quite a bit, and I guess it's a reasonable trade-off.
> 
> I'll add a comment explaining why it's safe not to do the initial
> flush/invalidate in a new revision.
> 
>> We normally do perform an invalidate when the GPU first touches a buffer
>> (e.g. for a BO) - it's just normally more implicit because it's done as
>> part of the job manager(/command stream).
> 
> Does this mean instructions that are part of the command stream passed to the
> submit ioctl can trigger a flush/invalidate without CPU intervention?

Sorry, I shouldn't have mentioned command streams - that's a Panthor
thing. For Panfrost the flush/invalidate is done as part of the job
submission (FLUSH_PT). With the Panthor and the MCU we then have a
FLUSH_CACHE2 instruction that can be part of the command stream - so yes
you can trigger (some forms of) a cache flush during the middle of a
command stream without CPU intervention.

Thanks,
Steve

>>
>> Also "caches known to be empty" is a dangerous thing to assume on
>> anything that could involve speculation - AFAIK Mali doesn't really
>> perform any form of speculation, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
>> Certainly with CPUs you don't get such a luxury of knowing what it might
>> have populated in the caches.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Steve
> 
> 

Reply via email to