On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 09:10:47 -0700
Eric Anholt <eric at anholt.net> wrote:

> Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 19:27:45 +0200
> > Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> wrote:

> >> Compositor should already do a rough bw guesstimate and if stuff doesn't
> >> change any more bake the entire scene into a single framebuffer. The exact
> >> same issue happens on more usual hw with video overlays, too.
> >>
> >> Ofc if it turns out that scanning out your yuv planes is less bw then the
> >> overlay shouldn't be stopped ofc. But imo there's nothing special here for
> >> the rpi.

> >> Yeah I guess we need to check reality here. If the "we've run out of bw"
> >> case just never happens then it's pointless to write special code for it.
> >> And we can always add a limit later for the case where GL is usually
> >> better and tell userspace that we can't do this many planes. Exact same
> >> thing with running out of memory bw can happen anywhere else, too.
> >
> > I had a chat with Eric last night, and our different views about the
> > on-line/real-time performance limits of the HVS seem to be due to alpha
> > blending.
> >
> > Eric has not been using alpha blending much or at all, while my
> > experiments with Weston and DispmanX pretty much always need alpha
> > blending (e.g. because DispmanX cannot say that only a sub-region of a
> > buffer needs blending). Eric says alpha blending kills the
> > performance.
>
> Note, I wasn't saying anything about performance.  I was just talking
> about how compositing in X knows that (almost) everything is actually
> opaque, so I don't have the worries about alpha blending that you
> apparently do in Weston.

Ok, I'm confused.

Most surfaces in Weston do have non-opaque parts, usually the window
decorations, depending of course on the desktop visual style in use.
That means almost no surface is completely opaque, the wallpaper being
the obvious exception.

In Weston, we also do have the opaque region as set by apps as a
hint, that these regions do not need alpha blending. However with
DispmanX, there was no way to make use of the opaque region markup
unless it covered the whole surface.

Well, I could have split every window into 5 DispmanX elements
instead of just one (4 blended, 1 opaque) to approximate the usual
case with decorations, but I never tried that. There was some concern,
that the number of elements would become the dominating limit on how
much can be on screen at once, so it didn't feel worth the added
complexity, and enabling the automatic fallback to off-line just worked.

Alpha-blending can still be forced to a whole window by desktop
effects, though.

Does this explain why I saw that with DispmanX, the HVS on-line mode
would fail to reliably drive the output with just one or two basic app
windows open if even that much? IIRC that was on a 1280x1024 monitor,
not even close to a full-HD.

Thanks,
pq