Michel Dänzer wrote:

> What's the kernel message printed when loading the module, in particular
> the version? The only thing I could think of is that you're using an
> Alan Cox kernel and have configured it for the wrong XFree86 version or
> something.

I've tried with 2.4.9-ac11, but the DRI was correctly configured for XFree
4.1, and also with vanilla 2.4.14 and 2.4.16.

I've just noticed something strange, though : even though the xserver packages
are all 4.1.0-9, it seems the server itself hasn't been completely updated :

  XFree86 Version 4.0.99.3 / X Window System
  Release Date: 26 April 2001

  (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a
  (II) Module dri: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        compiled for 4.0.99.3, module version = 1.0.0
        ABI class: XFree86 Server Extension, version 0.1

 From what I understand, this means I've been trying to use the DRI modules
for 4.1 with a partially 4.0 xserver. I say partially because some other parts
of the server appear to be correct 4.1 :

  (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdbe.a
  (II) Module dbe: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        compiled for 4.1.0.1, module version = 1.0.0
        Module class: XFree86 Server Extension
        ABI class: XFree86 Server Extension, version 0.1

So I figure I only have to get the server back to speed with a correct, fully
4.1 version, and things should work again. The single remaining problem is
that I have no idea how to do that without blowing my distribution to pieces.
I've tried reinstalling packages like xserver-common, to no avail.

--
Daniel