It sounds like a good idea to me.  The thought had crossed my mind while
continuously recompiling to switch between checking performance/running at
full speed and seeing debug output.

btw, I added culling back on the mach64-0-0-3-branch by basically copying
the Mesa software culling code (as Keith suggested) into the state update
function tied to Driver.CullFace and Driver.FontFace and I can see the
improvement in the glxgears numbers, which are back to about where they
were with the old branch now.

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Keith Whitwell wrote:

> The mach64 people may find this a useful thing to do on their driver:
>
> I've just recently done what John C. had always said we should be doing:  Keep
> the debug 'printfs' compiled in all the time and be able to switch them on/off
> from the command line.  This has been a huge help both tracking down bugs and
> also optimizing for new applications (eg the viewperf tests).
>
> On the tcl branch, I can turn mesa debug flags on like this:
>
> MESA_DEBUG=api,texture ./gears
>
> this will set MESA_VERBOSE to (MESA_VERBOSE_API|MESA_VERBOSE_TEXTURE)
>
> Similarly,
>
> RADEON_DEBUG=fallbacks,ioctls ./gears
>
> will set RADEON_DEBUG to (DEBUG_FALLBACKS|DEBUG_IOCTLS)
>
> The performance penalty for keeping the printfs compiled in seems insigificant
> so far...
>
> Keith

Leif Delgass
http://www.retinalburn.net