From: "Jos Fonseca" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 4:10 AM
Subject: [Dri-devel] Savage 4 thorough search results

After sending a couple of emails to S3 Graphics and no reply whatsoever to
date I made a thorough search for any Savage 4 related documentation in
the web. Although I didn't found no holy grail I did found this link:

http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/4856/2001/1/0/5043174/

This SDK includes the header for the MeTaL API - a rather low level API
for interfacing with the Savage chip based cards. With this and perhaps a
little reverse engineering of some MeTaL drivers it should be sufficient
to get us started when the time comes.

This SDK also has quite a deal of examples, code and tools regarding S3TC.
In fact also on the same thread there are some links to information about
S3TC:

http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/4856/2001/1/0/5032050/
http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/4856/2001/1/0/5032122/

and here some assorted information too:

http://www.ee.ed.ac.uk/~cdh/publications/dissertation.pdf

Perhaps in the XFree86 private ftp there is something usefull too. If yes
it's just a question of becoming a XFree86 developer. Could some of the
XFree86 developers tell if there is?

I confess that I find all this [of trying to overcome the lack of
documentation] a little sad. I would be much happier if there was some
kind of feedback from the vendors, even if just a negative [and funded]
answer..!

 From what I've understand it seems that S3's IP have been by so many
hands (Diammond, Sonicblue, Via) that they've fallen a little in nowhere
land [or at least nobody cares land]. This is reflected, for instance, in
the drivers for other OS, where most of the card manufactures (e.g.,
Creative Labs) have stopped supporting it, being very difficult to find
good quality drivers for the recent versions of Windows. This was
something I had hope to change in Linux but I really don't know...

Jos Fonseca