> > Here you are comparing different algorithms.  A custom sort algorithm
will
> > perform much better than a standard qsort.  I agree.  Implementing
something
> > in hardware does not mean it uses a more efficient algorithm however.  A
> > hardware implementation is just that, an implementation.  It does not
change
> > the underlying algorithms that are being used.  In fact, it tends to set
the
> > algorithm in stone.  This makes it very hard to adopt new better
algorithms
> > as they are invented.  In order to move to a better algorithm you must
wait
> > for a hardware manufacturer to implement it and then fork out more
money.

> As far as I know, every new graphics chip out there right now is
programmable - it may have a limited number of operands but the microcode is
certainly modifiable. They aren't just straight ASICs.

The chips may (or may not, I have not double checked) be somewhat
programmable, but the arrangement of the chips in the pipeline are not.
Thus, the implementation of whatever algorithm they use can be tweaked
somewhat, but the algorithm is pretty much hard-coded.

-Raystonn