"K. Petersen" wrote:

> I have come upon a reproducible lockup on my system when switching from a
> console virtual terminal to X.  It can be produced as follows:
>
> Begin X
> Switch back to a virtual console
> Switch back to X

Does this cause the problem every time?

Also, just to confirm...you don't have to run even one 3D application in
order to see this problem?

> This causes the X display to appear on the screen, with a strip along the
> top deformed.  In this state, the X server is unresponsive to
> ctrl-alt-backspace, and I am unable to switch to any other virtual
> terminals.  However, I can still log in remotely.
> Using alt-sysreq-k, the display then changes colors, to what I believe
> might be a lower color palatte, but cannot be certain of.  After this, I
> am then able to switch virtual terminals, log in as root, run mode3, and
> have the display restored.
> At this point, vc/7 has not been restored to an unused state.  Instead
> there is any text I typed while the display was locked, followed by a
> blinking cursor.
> If I now attempt to restart X, the system will lock completely.  The
> monitor will go into power saving mode, the keyboard is unresponsive, and
> I am unable to log in remotely.
>
> I hope this has been a reasonably thorough description of the problem, now
> my hardware and software configuration.
>
> Hardware:
> ATI Radeon 64DDR
> AMD AthlonMP in SMP configuration
> AMD 760MP chipset on a Tyan S2460 Motherboard
>
> Software:
> Linux kernel 2.4.18
> Latest DRI cvs, with kernel module from the dri

Are you building this yourself?  If so, it might be useful to build a
static X server.  I've attached host.def you could place over
xc/config/cf/host.def to build a static server with just the ati driver.

> This problem has occurred since X410, and kernel versions back at least
> through 2.4.16, both with kernel DRM, and the DRM provided with the DRI.
> I should also note that this only occurs when DRI is enabled.  There is no
> problem switching between X and other virtual terminals when DRI is
> disabled.

Sorry, I overlooked this earlier.

Regards,
Jens

         Jens Owen            /  \/\ _
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  /    \ \ \   Steamboat Springs, Colorado