On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, José Fonseca wrote:

> > > I've just add it but it makes gears drop from 222 to 185 fps in my
> > system.
> > > I don't know if this is caused by droped triangles when there is no
> > FIFO
> > > check, or if the FIFO check makes a big overload. So I #ifdef'd it out.
> >
> > > Note that I even avoided to use udelay or any other time function, but
> > it
> > > didn't help.
> >
> > I've always wondered why we never ran into lockups before.  The previous
> > branch had places where potentially more than 16 writes would happen
> > without checking the fifo.  Since the fifo depth is acutally deeper than
> > 16 and the check just looks at the last 16 slots, maybe we've been lucky.
> >

> In that case I can try to replace the check for a idle engine to a check
> of 16 empty slots. Perhaps that may give a green light sooner.

Yes, I think waiting for idle here is overkill.  According to the
programmer's guide, you only need to wait for idle when reading a register
or bit field updated by the draw engine, or when the draw engine and an
apterture read/write are acting on the same memory region (e.g.
Read/WritePixels).

--
Leif Delgass
http://www.retinalburn.net