> If you're running XFree86 4.1,

No, I'm running 4.2. Yesterday I bit the bullet and downloaded the
entire source tree (quite an adventure down a phone line ...) and
built from source. All worked fine this time, so there perhaps some
problem with the binary packages on SF? Perhaps there's a dependence
on an X11R6 module not included in the binary package?

Anyhow, so now I have the radeon cvs built and working correctly,
everything's wonderful (thanks to all the developers!) apart from an
assertion failure I get repeatedly with our 3D ultrasound application
(http://svr-www.eng.cam.ac.k/~rwp/stradx). It happens whenever I open
a new window and make the new context current:

radeon_vtxfmt.c:1039: radeonVtxfmtUnbindContext: Assertion `vb.context == ctx' failed.

It doesn't happen with _every_ context switch, just with a particular
pair of windows in the application - but it is repeatable with these
two windows. The problem goes away with RADEON_NO_TCL=1 or
RADEON_NO_VTXFMT=1, and doesn't appear with any other GL
implementation we've tried (including mga dri).

I'd be happy to test patches if anyone's interested in this one ....

Cheers,

Andrew

PS. Just read Konstantin's post, so it's looking like there's
definitely a problem with the cvs binaries!