On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 01:07:16AM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Die, 2002-10-15 at 20:30, Ian Romanick wrote:
> > Warning: ignorant questions on the way...
> >
> > I've gotten some questions from a couple of people about backing store with
> > DRI, on the R100 driver specifically.  Because my background isn't firmly
> > rooted in X-Windows, I wasn't really familiar with what that meant. :)  I
> > did a little searching, and I think I have a vauge idea now.
> >
> > In any case, as near as I can tell, when the Radeon DRI driver gets loaded,
> > backing store is explicitly disabled.  Why is that?  Is it a hardware
> > limitation or is it "just" to conserve memory?  Something else?
>
> I was going to guess something like 'because there can't be backing
> store for direct rendered windows?', but are you actually sure about
> this? I just started a server with DRI enabled and +bs, and both the log
> and xdpyinfo indicated that backing store was enabled.
>
> If you have more questions about backing store, you should probably post
> to Xpert.

So, I did a little tinkering on this, I have a tiny script called x_twm that
looks like:

#!/bin/sh
X $* &
xterm &
exec twm

If I run it as 'x_twm -depth 24', everything is fine.  However, if I do
'x_twm -depth 24 +bs', it *says* that backing store is enabled.  If I left
click to bring up the menu, it is blank until I move the mouse pointer over
each menu entry.  *Something* isn't right.  This also happens when I comment
out dri and glx from the Module section, so it doesn't seem specific to DRI.

Ideas?  Is this a (previously) known issue?

--
Smile!  http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap990315.html