Keith,

I've heard you and others talk about triple buffering a few times, and I'm wondering if you can fill me in on a few details. Is the primary motivation for a 3rd buffer to aliviate delays associated with vertical refresh? Using a page swapping method, I would guess the pointers for front, back and display buffer would look like:

Before SwapBuffers:

Buffer 1 Buffer 2 Buffer 3
^ ^
Front & Back
Display

After SwapBuffers but Before Vertical Retrace:

Buffer 1 Buffer 2 Buffer 3
^ ^ ^
Display Front Back

At Vertical Retrace:

Buffer 1 Buffer 2 Buffer 3
^ ^
Front & Back
Display

I'm wondering what happens when the frame rate exceeds the refresh rate. Also, would X need to render to all 3 buffers? Would X's notion of front and back (For DBE) still work at a semantic level? I know DBE doesn't work properly with the DRI right now, but we haven't done anything to prevent it from being implemented.

--
/\
Jens Owen / \/\ _