On 22 Nov 2002 15:43, you wrote:
> > After generating XF86Config and typing startx in command
> > prompt X server
> > failed to start. I found in system logs that 2D driver refused to
> > work with third party boards.
>
> That's Intentional. On the list you can find several references to
> problems with the multiple OEM BIOS variants even with the DRI drivers.
> Since this must be considered as third party software and hardware,
> you should consider calling the respective vendor for support.
> (Having a broken BIOS checksum is the least problem in that area...)

I can re-flash my video card with referense ATI BIOS if this can solve
problems you are talking about. There is no hope that Gigabyte will provide
Linux drivers itself, so the only way to make my videocard useable is to use
drivers that are already exists.

> > id (0x1002) with Gigabyte (0x1458) I was able to start XFree
> > but I saw my text consoles (vga=791) broken.
>
> This might be a BIOS problem. Current drivers are using the
> XFre86 Int10 module for doing mode switches. Thanks for another
> reason for not letting that drivers run on third party boards.

I wonder why dri driver can do mode switches without so much troubles?

> > Next thing I've tried is to start Tux Racer game. After 2
> > minutes of pretty smooth gameplay it hung and my box locked
> > up completely.
>
> Stability of a specifc grafics board is mainly due to its
> clock rate, its RAM bus interface clock an signal quality
> plus misc power supply parameters (mainboard abilities to
> drive that board, PCB design to ensure the voltage does not
> drop critical in any operation thermal and electrical condtion).
>
> I know that ATI is ensuring this for the "Built by ATI" boards
> with much effort, but i have no idea how intense those third
> party vendors do that. The second unknown thing is your hosting
> PC system. You should verify it with a secondary operating system.

I realize that every computer in the world may or may not have stability
issues and my own one may not be the most stable ;) But I have no troubles
with various versions of Windows drivers, including driver made by Gigabyte
and reference drivers made by ATI. Also my card is not overclocked, I have a
very powerful power supply, whole system is cooled well and so on.  The only
reason for Linux driver to do bad things like locking up the whole box - it
doesn't look so mature, especialy if compared with ATI's driver for Windows
or NVidia Detonator (including Detonator for Linux).

> Official ATI drivers were 1.4.3 for R200, and are now unified
> with version 2.4.3 (the numbering similarity is a co-incidence).
> So i am wondering a bit who did supply such a driver to you.

This is my mistake, I used official 1.4.3 version, just failed to remember
right version number, because I erased this package from my disk.

> > After install script built kernel drm modules
> > installation stopped because depmod complained about
> > unresolved symbols in module fglrx.o
>
> I am building these modules nicely on e.g. RedHat or with
> default kernel.org kernels. If something is missing from
> your kernel config (like module support, highmem support,
> whatever - see readme) then you might spot messages like this.
>
> Please check your kernel source configuration.

I used stock SuSE 2.4.19-4GB kernel optimized for Athlon processors.

> > Now I have installed driver from dri trunk, it works pretty
> > well, but I have very slow gameplay with Loki's Rune.
>
> Thats the best and only drivers that should use for your adapter.
>
> > Maybe today I will try to install official ATI driver again,
> > this time version 2.4.3. I hope it finally going to work.
>
> What you were doing is "unsupported" and "not recommended".
> This is meaning that it is on your own risk if you do it.
> Maybe there are legal reasons why you shouldn't be allowed
> to do that, but i dont know this myselves.

If I will not be allowed to use my card with Linux next time I will think
twice before bying any ATI products. AFAIK NVidia supports any cards based on
NVidia chips, even chineese ones ;)

--
WBR, Roman

http://www.svartalf.tk