Am Montag, 25. November 2002 00:09 schrieb Felix Kühling:
> On Sun, 24 Nov 2002 22:20:26 +0000
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > In the past few months I've been noticing 2 problems with my A7M266-D
> > (dual athlon) computer (2 processors installed) with its ATI Radeon
> > 7500 gfx card:
> >
> > 1) Whenever I try to burn CD's at x20 it falls over very quickly
> > (about 12MBytes).  Burning them at x8 at least gives me a chance of
> > backing things up but it wasn't perfect.
> >
> > 2) Whenever heavy disk IO (for example when Debian reads its package
> > database) is performed the whole of X hangs for tens of seconds, but
> > things like alsaplayer keep playing (and don't skip a beat).
> >
> > Anyway, I finally got fed up of this as I was sure it didn't use
> > to be this bad - so I decided to investigate.
> >
> > I was currently using 2.4.20-rc2-ac3 + ALSA + CVS DRI. I went back to
> > the old installation of 2.4.19-pre5-ac3 and everything works fine (this
> > also had ALSA and CVS DRI from about May). I then updated ALSA & DRI
> > to current, and it was back to its old bad behaviour. So I tried
> > 2.4.20-rc3 with the radeon.o DRM module it comes with (+ the ALSA
> > drivers) and everything works fine (well, apart from DRI!). Stopping
> > X, unloading the DRM module, insert the latest CVS version and start up X
> > again and we are back to not being able to write CD's again.
> >
> > Any comments/ideas?
>
> I'm having problems burning CDs at speeds higher than 16x too. But
> disabling DRI (no radeon.o module loaded) didn't change that.

I'm never had any such problems on my MSI K7D Master-L, aka MS-6501, AMD 768
MPX dual Athlon MP 1900+, 1 GB DDR-SDRAM 266 CL2, Radeon 8500 QL system.
PS/2 mouse is plugged in but maybe it is due that I have all SCSI?
Kernel 2.4.xx (2.4.19-ck, -AA VM, preemption etc) and 2.5.xx (2.5.47-mm1
latest) running fine apart from latest mesa-4-1 branch.

Search DRI-devel for ealier post about my system.

-Dieter