> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > I attempt to enable acceleration, X attempts to start, but I see a corrup=
>
> By acceleration, do you mean any acceleration or the DRI? DMA is only
> relevant for the latter.

My mistake - what I mean by "accerleration" is putting the entry 'Option "accel"' in
the 'Section "Device"' portion of my "XF86Config-4" file for the ATI Radeon video
driver. Having "accel" here causes the problems (as various extra features are loaded)
as opposed to having "noaccel" here, when these extra features are not loaded. (In
this case "extra features" refers to things that pertain to using various hardware
features to speed up the display.)

> > 00:01.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc U1/A3 AGP Bridge [IGP 320M] (rev=
>  01) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
>
> Hmm, seems to be some kind of integrated chipset? Maybe you can get
> agpgart working with agp_try_unsupported.

I have seen an email on the "debian-laptops" list between (I suspect) some kernel
developers referring to the "ATI IGP 320" hardware stating that it was currently not
totally supported. (I think they said something like "ATI have not released the specs.
yet, so the support has to be implemented the hard way.) My machine is an HP Pavillion
ze4125 notebook. Thus is it possible tha the chipset is an integrated one. The laptop
manual implies it is an "integrated" chipset (for some definition of "integrated",
which it does not specify...).

When I use "agp_try_unsupported=1" I get the same message in "kern.log":

Dec 15 12:07:17 marvin kernel: Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
Dec 15 12:07:17 marvin kernel: agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 408M
Dec 15 12:07:17 marvin kernel: agpgart: unsupported bridge
Dec 15 12:07:17 marvin kernel: agpgart: no supported devices found.

> > b) The ATI Mobility U1 is sufficiently different from the other ATI Mobil=
> ity
> > chips to cause a kernel panic on auto-detect.
>
> Not sure how autodetection by 'the kernel' (do you mean the DRM?) would
> cause a panic, you'd have to provide more information to tell.

Again, my mistake for being unclear. When the option "accel" is used, and I start
XFree (using "startx"), I see the screen switch to tty7, but stay blank. After a few
seconds a single short beep is emitted. Then the caps-lock leds flashes on and off.
The system stops responding to keyboard input and does not respond to ssh requests,
not orderly shutdown (but ctrl-alt-backspace or ctrl-alt-delete or a brief press on
the power button). Hence the kernel is no longer responding. When I reboot and look in
the XFree.log file, it ends at the point when the list of the supported ATI chipsets
is printed and the entries where the driver is attempting to load the ATI driver. Thus
I presume that at this point the ATI software is loaded which has to identify the
chipset and this detection mechanism causes the freeze.

I have also tried a "chipid" of 0x4966 (Radeon 9000) in the "XF86Config-4" file with
the "Option" "accel" and this suffers the same timeout on the FIFO error. (I read a
report that the Radeon Mobility U1 was supposed to be software-compatible with this
chip.)

Regards,

Jason.