Felix Kühling wrote:
Hello list,

D. Hageman and I have been bouncing a design document for the new
configuration infrastructure back and forth in private mail for the past
week. Now we think it's ready for public discussion.

You may notice that the structure is quite similar to Ians texmem
design. This is the first time I'm writing such a document so I took
Ian's work as a good example.

The document is attached in plain text format.
Nice work! I think you've covered all the issues I'm aware of.

I have one idea to bring up though. As it is now, you have a 'driConfigurationOptions' symbol in each *_dri.so driver file which would be accessed via dlopen/dlsym. It's up to the configuration tool to determine which driver file to open for a particular screen (using the XF86DRI extension).

What if libGL did that for you? That is, we'd add a new internal function to libGL like this:

const char *libglGetConfiguratinOptions(Display *dpy, int screen);

So, you'd use dlopen() to open libGL.so", then call that function for whichever display/screen you're interested in. libglGetConfiguratinOptions(), in turn, would dlopen the appropriate DRI driver and fetch the options associated with 'driConfigurationOptions'.

Then, we'd actually have a DRI-independant mechanism that could potentially be picked up by NVIDIA and ATI for their binary drivers. All they'd have to do is implement the libglGetConfiguratinOptions() function in their libGL.so libs.

I think that would be a good thing for the end users.

-Brian