> There is no way in hell UT2k3 will run on MGA.  It *REQUIRES*
> ARB_texture_env_combine, which is not supported by that hardware.  Even
> if it didn't require that extension, good grief man, why torture
> yourself like that?!? :)

FWIW, the Windows version of UT2003 even runs (badly) on Intel 810 and
Voodoo Banshee cards :) A G400 actually performs better than a TNT2 due to
the increased fillrate. (all D3D)

We scale back pretty well, though the OpenGL renderer never was written with
the intention to work on G400 cards. The D3D renderer jumps through quite
some hoops to deal with very old HW, disables certain features and
simplifies certain materials/ shaders to avoid driver/ HW bugs/ limitations.
I didn't bother doing that for the OpenGL renderer, which, FWIW, runs quite
well on Voodoo 4/5 cards on Windows.

As I've been seeing posts on /. about the topic: on Windows the OpenGL
renderer performs within 5-10% of the D3D renderer on ATI and NVIDIA cards
on the machines I tested. Sometimes it's faster, but most of the times its
slightly slower than the D3D renderer, which doesn't come as a big surprise
given the amount of tweaking the D3D codepath underwent on both our end and
the driver side.

-- Daniel, Epic Games Inc.