Jon Smirl wrote:

> I really don't understand ATI's position on Linux
> drivers. They have better hardware but they are losing
> because of their drivers. I can't think of a better
> solution than having a couple hundred highly skilled,
> performance obsessed, unpaid hackers fixing their code
> for them.

Somehow, I dont' think this is an entirely accurate description of the situation. When I was heavily involved in the DRI project, there were significant contributions made by perhaps a dozen people, many of whom worked for PI/VA (now TG). By the looks of things, the list of active developers has grown some, which is great to see, but there has never been anything approaching "a couple hundred highly skilled, performance obsessed, unpaid hackers" just waiting to "fix their code for them".

-- Gareth