Felix Kühling wrote:
On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 08:30:56 +0000
Keith Whitwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Jonathan Thambidurai wrote:

        I was looking at the source for the radeon driver and noticed that the
depth buffer is always set to 32 bits if a 24 bpp color depth is
selected.  Is this a hardware limitation, or might it be possible to
change it to 16 bpp?

It's possible to do this with a small amount of coding. That coding would touch several parts of the tree, but not actually be too difficult, except in terms of getting to know the very large source tree we have to deal with.

Try downloading the CVS & see if you still want to play.

This is yet another thing that could become a configuration option with
the new configuration scheme. Besides radeon and r200, would this also
be possible with other drivers?

Currently the depth buffer is a static allocation made at X Server init time by the 2D driver. If the new configuration scheme is not available to the 2D driver, it may be better to use the XF86Config file.

--
                               /\
         Jens Owen            /  \/\ _