Leif Delgass wrote:
On Sat, 8 Mar 2003, Brian Paul wrote:

Nicholas Leippe wrote:

On Thursday 06 March 2003 08:26 am, Suzy Deffeyes wrote:

Who is the audience for the table? Is it the end user checking to see if a
feature is available and/or has some form of  HW acceleration?  Or is the
audience the DRI developer, looking to see what pieces need implementing?
That might dictate how much you put in the table, especially color coding.

That's a very good question that I didn't have the answer to when I reworked it. I'm still not sure. I get the impression from what Brian has said that he feels it's more for the end user (gl app programmer) to let them know whether a feature is available for use since he doesn't care to distinguish any further.

I would prefer to at least distinguishing between hw and sw support, but it's Brian's baby. :)

I think that if you want to get into more detail about hw vs. sw features, etc that it should be put below in the "Driver-specific Notes" section below. But if someone feels strongly about it and will do all the work to do something fancier, that's fine. I just don't have time for it.

Nice looking table, I like it.

Thanks.

So, how do I install it on the Mesa site? Just copy the
dri_driver_features.phtml file? That doesn't seem to work. I don't know anything about dynamic html or html widgets.

-Brian

First off, good work Nicholas!

I did a survey of the extensions exported by the drivers in the trunk and
texmem branches and found a few edits/corrections that I made in the
attached revision, and I also have a few questions. You can see the dynamic version with my edits on the DRI site here (note that it's not linked to from the live pages):
http://dri.sourceforge.net/doc/dri_driver_features_new.phtml

Changes:

Add to list:
-----------
GL_ARB_multisample - R200, R100, mga (What's necessary for a driver to support this?)

I wouldn't advertise support for GL_ARB_multisample until it really works. The OpenGL spec allows one to support the entrypoints without really implementing the feature (sort of like texture compression).

It's not trivial to implement and I'm not sure we even have the technical information needed for doing it with the ATI chips.

GL_ARB/SGIS_texture_border_clamp - R200 (texmem), R100
GL_EXT/SGIS_texture_edge_clamp - R200, R100 (texmem)
GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once - R200, R100
GL_NV_blend_square - R200, R100

Modifications:
-------------
GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat - R200 YES, R128 YES (texmem)
GL_EXT_stencil_wrap - i830 NO (currently disabled with #if 0)
GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap - R200 YES

GL_EXT_blend_function_separate - should be GL_EXT_blend_func_separate

Should R128 export GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias? The driver supports it but it
seems from the comment in r128_tex.c that scaling of the bias param might
not be quite correct.

The mga driver in the texmem branch exports these now, but are they really supported?:
GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap

There are a couple of other minor changes I had made to the version of the
table on the DRI site that aren't reflected in the dynamic version. The
attached version has these edits and those above (at least the ones I was
sure about).

BTW, I changed the PHP tags from '<?' to '<?php' and '<?=' to '<? echo',
since the short versions didn't work when testing on my local system with
PHP 4.1.2, and the PHP docs indicate the short versions are deprecated
since they don't work well with XHTML.

Some other enhancements I thought of that could be made: - show only the driver notes for the currently selected driver - have extensions default to "no" unless they are specified for a particular driver. That would make editing/adding extensions easier.

Feel free to incorporate your changes and make the page "live". I don't want to be the sole gatekeeper for this info/webpage.

At the top where it says "Select drivers to view" you might point out that one can use shift-click to select multiple entries.

Finally, a notice that this table reflects the latest code in CVS, and not necesarily the drivers in XFree86 4.3 or RH8, etc., might be wise.

-Brian