On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 14:26, Mark Vojkovich wrote:
> > This comes up from time to time, and I'm sure will get discussed even more.
> > I know there have been offers to others for CVS commit access, and some
> > have refused and some have accepted. The consensus of who gets commit
> > access has always been - if they show competance at sending patches in,
> > then after a period of time, no doubt they'll get it. It's the same as
> > the DRI, but with more of a prolonged period of evaluating that persons
> > patches. I guess this 'prolonged' period, is the stickling point for most.
>

>     Keith, I'm sure you've seen some pretty shady patches come your
> way so you understand that review by qualified people is essential.
> I believe we do need more commiters, particularly in some parts of
> the tree, but I also believe that this commit access should be
> granted only to people with sufficient expertise, not merely to
> people who have a vested interest.  I know we have poor coverage
> in some parts of the tree, and I think that needs to be fixed.

What if there is nobody qualified?  I've been working on the FreeBSD DRM
for about 2 years now.  It was my first experience with kernel code and
with XFree86 code.  I had never worked on graphics before.  I've made
countless incredibly stupid mistakes.  But nobody else was willing to
work on it, and finding help with most of my questions has been
impossible.

At this point, I'm the only one who knows about the FreeBSD DRM who is
willing to work on it. Because it's DRI related I have been granted DRI
CVS access and can do work there.  But if I had been working on
something like this through XFree86 for this long without CVS access, I
would most likely have moved on to another project a while ago.

--
Eric Anholt                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/dri/     [EMAIL PROTECTED]