David Dawes wrote:
On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 04:23:14PM -0600, Brian Paul wrote:

Sounds like the Mesa directory re-org should happen sooner, rather than later.

I've been doing some research into CVS and it looks like there are two approaches to doing the re-org:

1. Use the usual cvs add/remove/commit commands to move everything around. This would work, but it would be pretty tedious and we'd sort of lose the CVS histories.

2. Download the nightly CVS tarball to my machine, reorganize it, then upload it to SourceForge and have the SF admins install it as the new CVS tree. The one issue with this approach is that it would effect all CVS branches. A benefit would be the ability to _really_ remove the old, empty directories.

I prefer option 2.

Depending on how you do option 2, you'll lose the ability to check out
older versions as they used to be.

I'm not a CVS expert, but my understanding is that tags are stored in each of the ,v files (not in a special tag file) and the ,v files have no paths stored in them.

So, checking out an old branch will result in the OLD files in the NEW directory tree. I can live with that. Is that what you're describing?

It is possible to do a combination of the two approaches, but that would
require quite a bit of work. For example, the old ,v files wouldn't be
removed, but rather copied to the new location, and the old tags for
the files in the new locations would either be removed or renamed.

Yes, we could do that but I'm prepared to make a clean break at this point.

Another option is to keep the old repository as-is, and start a new one
(i.e., a new top level directory under the same $CVSROOT), seeded with
the reorganised files from the old one.

Does anyone else think we should do that? I'm open to it.

-Brian