On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Sven Luther wrote:

> And we will throw out all our existing hardware and run buying
> PCI-Express enabled ones, right ?

Yeah, no, I don't believe it. Hardware infrastructure has incredible
staying power. See how even ISA has only been _really_ dying in the last
two years (and it still exists in the form of 16-bit pcmcia).

It takes a long time to displace a successful system bus. I think PCI and
AGP might go away faster than some, if only because a lot of people are
happy without any expansion cards what-so-ever these days (most things
come on the motherboard). But even so it's certainly a few years away.

                Linus