The 2D driver supports all savage chips, but the 3D driver seems to
only support the Prosavage and Twister (savage4 core) integrated chips:

from savage_driver.c:

   if ((psav->Chipset == S3_TWISTER)
        || (psav->Chipset == S3_PROSAVAGE)) {
        /* Setup DRI after visuals have been established */
        psav->directRenderingEnabled = SAVAGEDRIScreenInit(pScreen);
    } else
        psav->directRenderingEnabled = FALSE;

I don't know how different the savage3D and savage4 cores are.  There
may also be some issues with shared vs. discrete video ram.

Alex