On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 10:42, Alex Deucher wrote:
> I have a question about the license at the top of these new files.
> what should I put for the copyright?  Some of the the code was written
> by me, but much of it was taken from the sis and mga drivers.  Also,
> what to I put for the top line?  the one that looks like this:
> /* $XFree86:
> xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/ati/radeon_cursor.c,v 1.25
> 2003/08/29 21:07:57 tsi Exp $ */
>
> thanks,
>
> Alex

Accepted practice, as far as I can tell, is that when you take code from
one driver and adapt it into new files in another driver, you get to put
your copyright on it.  I've done this in the sis code, and VIA/S3 did it
in the Savage code which still has a lot of Matrox code #ifdeffed out
(or not, and just unused) in it.

For the XFree86 CVS ID in a new file, just put:
/* $XFree86$ */
and it'll get expanded by CVS when it's committed to the XFree86 repo.
Or, you can leave it out and I think the XFree86 folks take care of
adding it when it goes into their repo.

--
Eric Anholt                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         [EMAIL PROTECTED]