On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 09:57:48PM +0100, Keith Whitwell wrote:

| I'm strongly against having sync-to-refresh as the default.  I've been
| there with the tdfx driver and it truely sucks.

When you're using double-buffering as it was originally intended, to
ensure a smooth transition from frame to frame, sync-to-refresh is
really the best way to go.  Seems to me that most people would want
things to work that way for standard applications.  (Games and realtime
apps need to be more sophisticated than either sync-to-refresh or no
sync.)

Perhaps the current problem is people just that people are using gears
as a benchmark?  That could easily be solved by writing a
self-calibrating benchmark and promoting its use instead of gears.

Allen