On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 09:38:10AM -0700, Ian Romanick wrote:

 > >For agpgart it hasn't really been an issue as all the development there
 > >in the last year or two has been done in tree. Yes, there has been some
 > >work on things like i915 out-of-tree, but that stuff has been merged up
 > >pretty quickly.
 >
 > agpgart also has the advantage of there being only one AGP controller in
 > the system.  The issue I'm stating to worry more and more about is the
 > user with multiple graphics cards...

Not entirely true. On AMD64, you get an AGPGART per-cpu, though these
all need to be kept coherent so you effectively have one.
But... some enterprising folks have also put GARTs on their K8 chipsets,
so in the case of some VIA boards, we *could* use the on-CPU GART for
IOMMU uses, and the chipset gart for graphics, instead of sharing the
on-CPU GART for both purposes.  I had actually looked into writing a
driver for the VIA K8 GART at one point, but it was around the time
I left my previous employer, and so lost access to the hardware to play with.
Maybe one to revisit at some point.

                Dave