If there weren't all those patents out there we might just try to
develop a free graphics chip.

I have thought about this (repeatedly - the idea gets very tempting after asking for the docs for the Nth time) and I don't think it is feasible to make an actual chip. By the time we are finished the world will move on.

What could work, however, is to make a *board* that is capable of decent 3d. Put lots of memory, lots of bandwidth and several DSP to approximate the same level of raw floating-point power as 3d GPUs. Leave everything else to the software.

The problem is getting such a beast under $1000 range. Last time I looked TI DSPs that were up to the task were rather expensive.

                        best

                          Vladimir Dergachev

Philipp

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: IT Product Guide on ITManagersJournal Use IT products in your business? Tell us what you think of them. Give us Your Opinions, Get Free ThinkGeek Gift Certificates! Click to find out more http://productguide.itmanagersjournal.com/guidepromo.tmpl -- _______________________________________________ Dri-devel mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/dri-devel