As long as the X server works and uses the ring buffer, that would point towards a simple configuration problem. Perhaps you could post a log of glxinfo with LIBGL_DEBUG=all and RADEON_DEBUG=all?

cu,
Nicolai

Hmm, I believe you may be right about the config problem,  I'm not
sure why I didn't think of running glxinfo with LIBGL_DEBUG=all
before..

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ LIBGL_DEBUG=all glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
libGL error: dlopen /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/r300_dri.so failed (/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/r300_dri.so: undefined symbol: XML_SetElementHandler)
libGL error: unable to find driver: r300_dri.so
--snip--

I'll have a mess around and try to find out what's going on there.

Ben.