Vladimir Dergachev wrote:

Alright... So drm from both February 14th and January 1st are locking up as well... Which is odd since I never had any of these problem till this weekend. I'll start rolling back changes to the Mesa dri driver... Perhaps this isn't directly related to the drm.

Oh, I've also flashed my BIOS to the latest from the motherboard manufacturer.. Thought it was worth a shot, but it didn't help.

One more piece - I have framebuffer (radeon) enabled in my kernel, do you ?

Enabled in the kernel, but disabled on the kernel command line.

Here's the results of my testing:

2.6.11 with both the kernel drm and the cvs drm trees from January 1st, February 14th, and this weekend: lockups.

2.6.11.3 with both the kernel drm and this weekends drm: lockups.

2.6.10 with both the kernel drm and this weekends drm: lockups. This one really confuses me as I used 2.6.10 for months without problems.

Some lockups come with kernel panics (about IRQ 16 getting disabled) that get logged to the serial port. Some just get the radeon_cp_reset and radeon_cp_start errors. Some lockups are just X locking up (and I can still login on at the serial console or over ssh), others are the entire machine. If I try to reboot my machine after X locks up, my machine will lockup before the reboot is complete. neverputt will consistently lockup (I'd say about 50/50 just X/the whole machine), almost immediately. glxgears will sometimes lockup. glxgears usually runs fine till I move the mouse... The mouse will stutter. If I'm fast enough, and the glxgears window hasn't lost focus, I can quit it and everything returns to normal... I still get the radeon_cp_reset and _start errors, but the machine and X won't lockup. With 2.6.11 and the most recent drm, I was able to play q3a for about 10 minutes... I was getting 30-40 fps, and never experienced a lockup.

IRQ 16 is shared with the usb controller. However, even disabling the usb controller in the BIOS doesn't solve the problem. The kernel panic (when it happens/gets logged) is different if the controller is disabled, but the lockups still happen.

The *only* lead that I currently have is that building a UP kernel (in both 2.6.11.3 and 2.6.10) gets it working again (with this weekends cvs drm). I haven't had a whole lot of time to test, but neverputt played for about 10 minutes, and moving the mouse when running glxgears doesn't cause any problems.

Of course, I'd rather not lose a processor just to get this working :-) Does anyone have any ideas?

I have no explanation for why an SMP kernel worked on 2.6.10 for months and has suddenly stopped working upon reinstallation of Debian.... Unless... In the process of reinstalling, I upgraded Xorg to the latest in CVS. When I get home tonight, I'll revert to 6.8.1 and see how that goes.

Adam