On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 09:58 -0400, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
> >>   Which way can memory controller be misprogrammed ? The part that concerns
> >> us are positions of Video RAM, AGP and System Ram in Radeon address space.
> >> (these are specified by RADEON_MC_AGP_LOCATION, RADEON_MC_FB_LOCATION).
> >>
> >>   The memory controller *always* assumes that system RAM (accessible via
> >> PCI) starts at 0. So, if RADEON_MC_FB_LOCATION, for example, is set to 0
> >> then we have video RAM overlapping system RAM.
> >
> > Yup, and that is not recommended. We program it differently on r200 but
> > for some reason, X still does that hack to put it down at 0 on r300.
>
> I wonder why. I always assumed that r300 should behave similarly to r200 -
> at least I can't see where the switch is. I certainly have not put any
> switches to change the behaviour (unless it was a mistake).

I think people originally had problems with the r200 code on r300, which
might be related to the use of tiled mode by the firmware on some r300
based setups (at least on macs). It seems that just mucking around
MC_FB_* etc... without actually disabling or reconfiguring tiling
properly locks up the card.

I think we need to be smarter here. We probably need to change
MC_FB_LOCATION etc... in the actual mode set sequence (and thus
save/restore them on console switch). We should probably make sure
nothing is accessing memory while doing the change (that is set the
proper bits to disable access to MC by the CRTC, which should be easy in
the mode setting which is already wrapped in blanks).