On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

nVidia gets a lot of flack on their forums from zealous Linux users.  (-:
I'm
glad to see the common customers being minor annoyances...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61077&postcount=222

I don't buy the explanation. So what that NVidia drivers are covered by NDA with other companies ?

What we really want are the register specs and description of how to program the pipeline.

If NVidia *really* wanted to open source their drivers all they had to do is release the register descriptions and watch the drivers appear. If anything, releasing their driver code would spoil the fun of low-level tinkering with powerflux hardware.

I do not believe the register specification is covered by NDA, as I cannot imagine that that interface was outsourced. I can see NVidia buying a few cores (say iDCT), but since they are the ones who integrate all that stuff they would have to write their own register interface.

Plain and simple, someone there is thinking that locking stuff up is "protecting value" - whether or not the particular information is of use to any competitors. Which is well described by the proverb about a dog and
a heap of hay.

                   best

                     Vladimir Dergachev