On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Vitja Makarov wrote:

I have compiled Xorg version 6.8.99.900 (6.9.0 RC 0), I was unable to get it
working in 2d. xserver start but standard x11 background is corrupted with
horizontal and vertical black lines, X-cursor is ok. After few seconds
system hangs with no kernel panic according to leds, no respond on
ctrl-alt-1, sysrq and so on (

so I can say xorg server's ati driver doesn't work with my card(

Try starting ATI Xserver driver, then quitting X and starting Xorg RC 0.

If this works, this is probably only a matter of initializing a few registers.

                  best

                       Vladimir Dergachev

x server log file attached.