On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 00:40 +0200, Stephane Marchesin wrote:
> Alan Cox wrote:
> >>The log design presents numerous opportunities for rogue processes to do
> >>bad things.  At some level, that's inherent in the nature of direct
> >>rendering.  If you don't trust the processes, don't enable direct rendering.
> >

> > Thats a very poor answer to the problem. DRI needs to be moving towards
> > being more secure, and building in assumptions of insecurity just makes
> > it worse when better cards are used.
>
> Security is more than just the memory manager. To enforce video memory
> protection, we'd have to audit the code and add memory protection to
> existing drm modules. That is quite a lot of work, and requires
> extensive knowledge of each card. So I don't think it's worth the
> trouble with current cards.

I still think 'we may not succeed 100%, at least in the short term' is a
bad excuse for not trying, but that seems to be mostly me.

> > Its critical that the kernel knows what memory on the video space is
> > being used for command queue and protects it. From the description of
> > the SiS turboqueue I suspect you may be able to root a sis video box
> > that way but without full docs I can't tell.
>
> Protecting a statically assigned command queue is one thing (something
> similar to what's currently done on radeon would be sufficient),
> protecting dynamically allocated video memory is another.

If the DRM operated on memory objects instead of with offsets directly,
it should be trivial: It only has to check that the caller has
permission to access the memory objects involved.

> > Other stuff like textures is merely annoyance value. Knowing who owned a
> > block for cleanup matters and the DRI lock/mem handling on some chips
> > already handles it. Its also cheap because you only have to track some
> > kind of texture handles not pages for cleanup.
>
> Actually, the long term idea is to have both dri and ddx allocate from
> the same memory pool. So we can't rely on texture handles for that.

May I ask why we can't, assuming this is done via EXA callbacks into the
DDX driver that use the shared memory manager?