On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 06:27:11PM +0200, David Oftedal wrote:

| Too bad it's not as straightforward as I'd hoped... One would have
| hoped the creators of the OpenGL standard would have prepared it for
| steroscopic graphics right from the start, but perhaps they didn't think
| it'd catch on? ...

It did have support for stereoscopic display from the very beginning --
optionally double-buffered left- and right- framebuffers.

At one point there was discussion about automatically applying left- and
right-eye transforms, but if I remember correctly there were just too
many cases where it didn't work.  (Probably the same sort of things that
Brian mentioned in his note.  Mirrors in scene, for example.)

Higher-level libraries like Performer did automatic stereo display, and
because they had access to the entire scene graph they did a better job
than the low-level API could.  For example, they handled culling and
load-balancing more efficiently.  So adding anything more than the basic
mechanisms to OpenGL seemed like a questionable idea.  (Until
fundamental changes in graphics hardware would make it more practical.)

| it'd catch on? For the time being I guess I'll just enjoy my bzflag in
| 3D... B)

Well, at least it's a good start. :-)

Allen