Some people were asking about modeseting on #dri-devel this morning so I
thought I'd post an update (airlied is asleep so we can blame him for all
the problems :).

The modesetting-101 branch of the DRM tree is coming along nicely.  Much of
X.Org's modesetting code has been pulled in (will look very familiar to
those of you who've worked with X.Org's Randr 1.2 code), along with driver
support code for Intel chipsets.

Dave pulled over a bunch of it, and integrated the patches from Jakob
(ioctl interface for modesetting) and I (initial port of some X.Org code
along with DDC and i2c code) into the tree, got it working and wrote a
simple drmfb driver to sit on top.

Based on that, I've been working on making the i915 driver initialization
less dependent on userspace for things, like mapping registers, allocating
memory, setting modes, etc.  I just checked in some code to initialize
drmfb at load time and set the correct modes depending on output
configuration (seems to work ok for external vga but lvds modes are still
messed up somehow).

It's all still very fragile at this point, so you probably won't want to
play with it unless you're really interested in hacking on it.

Some of the open questions we're wrestling with atm:
  o how do we free drm drivers to init a load time rather than addmap/etc.
    time?
  o how can we do TTM memory allocation at load time?  depends on AGP init
    happening early, etc.
  o what should the initial config be?  cloned?  multihead?  single,
    primary head with other heads initialized to a blank screen?
and of course there's lots to do on the logistics front:  output, crtc list
management, locking, etc., and bugs in DDC probing for old monitors (need
more delays and i2c poking).

Comments?  Questions?  A huge amount of the credit for this stuff belongs
to keithp and anholt for the excellent, high quality X and driver code
they've been putting together recently, making porting and debugging that
much easier.

Thanks,
Jesse