On 5/3/07, Zoltan Boszormenyi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry for the crossposting, I don't know who to address.
>
> I am experimenting the new CFS scheduler on Linux
> and tried to start multiple glxgears to see whether
> they are really running smooth and have evenly
> distributed framerate.
>
> At first I could only start two instances of glxgears
> but the third didn't start saying that it cannot allocate
> GART memory and try to increase increase GARTSize.
>
> First problem: man radeon doesn't have anything about
> this option, although radeon_drv.so contains this keyword.
> I tried guessing whether the parameter is in MBs and
> have set it to 128 but it disabled DRI because of some
> out of memory condition. Setting it to 64 gave me working
> DRI and I am able to start up some more instances of
> glxgears.
>
> Second problem: if I start 16 of them, the last 3
> behaves very strange, i.e. instead of the spinning gears
> I get chaotic flickering triangles. As soon as the number
> of glxgears goes down to 13 every window behaves
> normal.
>
> Third problem: starting up 32 glxgears locked up the
> machine almost instantly but having only 16 of them
> also locks up the machine after some time passed.
>
> The machine is x86-64, Athlon64 X2 4200,
> PCIe Radeon X700 with 128MB onboard memory,
> up-to-date Fedora Core 6.
>
> Best regards,
> Zoltán Böszörményi

This is interesting. I've occasionally seen my engine just display a mess of
triangles, but if I was to kill it and start it again, it would work fine. This
only happened very occasionally so I could never track down the problem.

If running more than 13 glxgears shows the problem then maybe it would have a
chance of getting fixed. :) You might want to open a bug report on the
Freedesktop Bugzilla.

The lockups are nothing new, unfortionally. I think there is a bug somewhere in
the R300 driver. You can also get deadlocks which are a little different... I
think that these might go away after R300 uses TTM and thus doesn't grab the
hardware lock anymore for texture upload, etc.