On Sunday, September 2, 2007 6:21 pm [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 08:31:10AM -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > On Thursday, August 23, 2007 6:44:49 pm [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
> > > I am *not* opposed to a scheme where userspace has to provide
> > > information how to set up a desired mode. (Although I'm not
> > > conviced it's really necessary -- both Keith Packard and Dave
> > > Airlie argued that mode setting is simple enough to be done in
> > > the kernel completely...)
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean here--the kernel does fully set the mode
> > in this scheme, all userspace does is provide the mode info
> > (timings, etc.).
>
> Well, some people argue that even the timings etc. could be
> calculated directly in the kernel -- unless I totally misunderstood
> their remarks.
>
> Anyways, my point was that I'm fine with both variants.

Yeah, that could be done either way; in fact the kernel already has some
timing formulas builtin.  We could add a GTF version if needed.

> > At a minimum, there must be a program to determine which outputs
> > have monitors attached, and what modes are available on those
> > monitors. It's possible this could be hardcoded in simple or
> > embedded cases, but for a dynamic system it should probably be done
> > in userspace, since EDID overrides will be fairly common, and
> > various platform specific quirks will probably be necessary.
>
> I'm pretty sure detecting the outputs is something that can be done
> in the kernel without problems. And it *should* be done there, so the
> kernel can actually manage the available hardware.

Yeah, I think output enumeration should be done in the kernel.  But
figuring out what's attached to a given output and what it supports is
a little more burdensome (e.g. EDID as you mention below):  not only
are there a huge number of devices and combinations (think of just
monitors and KVMs as an example) but myriad broken or simple devices
that provide incorrect information or no information at all.

> As for EDID, I totally agree that this can be done in user space just
> fine. What I'm saying is that no central daemon is required for that.
> Handling this data should be totally uncritical -- it can be done by
> a library linked to the actual client processes. (X server, console
> etc.) Ideally, using a DRM backend to a generic library like libggi,
> which adds a lot of additional flexibility :-)

Right, there's no reason most of this code can't be in a set of
libraries.  Nor is there any reason to *require* the use of a gfx
daemon in many cases.  It's just that for some of the cases we have in
mind (multiple users, each with multiple clients, possibly doing direct
rendering), a gfx daemon to arbitrate things may be a good approach.

Jesse