On Friday, March 07, 2008 1:21 am Tom Cooksey wrote:
> I'm a developer working on getting OpenGL ES working with QWS - the window
> system built into Qt/Embedded. That is, Trolltech's own windowing system,
> completely independent of X. The typical hardware we're working with is
> PowerVR MBX, an OpenGL ES 1.1 complient device. We have also played with
> ATI mobile chipsets. One thing all these devices have in common is rubbish
> (IMO), closed source drivers. The only API we have for them is EGL, the
> only on-screen surface is the entire display.
>
> While we are continuing development with these devices, I'm very keen to
> develop a proof-of-concept driver using an open source desktop OpenGL
> implementation. I want to show people what can be done with decent (& open)
> drivers.

Great, that's one of the goals we had in mind when changing the DRM recently.
There's actually some standalone OpenGL code in the Mesa tree that can be
used as a starting point (EGL & miniglx, two separate ways of doing that).

> The first step I'd like to make is to just get something on the screen. I
> was wondering if it's possible to use DRM to just map the framebuffer into
> a user process's address space and use it like we would use the LinuxFB
> device? Or do modern frame buffer drivers use the DRM themselves to do
> this?

Yeah, that should be doable with the current code on Intel & ATI devices.
You'll have to allocate a new buffer object for your front buffer, then use
it to set a new mode.

We'd really like to hear any feedback you have about the interfaces and
design; given that what you're doing is something we'd really like to
support, we want to make sure we get it right before it gets pushed upstream
into Linux and set in stone.

Thanks,
Jesse