Hello everyone, I'm a community college student interested in working
on dri for Google Summer of Code.  I was reading over the r300 todo
list, http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/R300ToDo, and the code and I
think a combination of those first items listed under "General
Optimization" would be a good gsoc project:

# [HARD] Cleanup the code which really needs it. You could help by
looking at the code, see what's useless, and propose to erase it.
# [MEDIUM] Check for common stuff in the code and put it into the
radeon source folder.
# [EASY] Document the register names in r300_reg.h from what is in the
source, and then update r300 state.
# [MEDIUM] Check which files came from r200 and can be updated from
the code changes that happened there.
These items make up the bulk of what I'm interested in proposing.
I've seen a lot of duplicated code, but I have not worked with it
enough to find out what is unneeded yet.

# [HARD] Rework the way we handle state change, we are likely the
worst example among all DRI drivers on the way we handle this. Take a
look at the i915 or nouveau driver to see how this could be improved.
Another great example is i965.
This one I need to look into a bit more, and I don't know if I should
tackle this yet.

Right now I'm heading out but I plan to hammer out a final proposal
tomorrow as I read more code.  I'm wondering what you guys would like
to see in this proposal and if you have any other suggestions for me.
This seems like a viable project, and I'd really like to work with you
guys.

- Erik Boettcher