On Monday, June 23, 2008 11:50 pm Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 11:02 -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > >
> > > No this isn't correct, it also needs to wait for scheduled non-flip
> > > buffer swaps.
> > >
> > > Isn't this just a workaround for the lack of the 2D driver patch and
> > > not necessary with it?
> >
> > I'm not sure what 2D patch you mean (page flipping for 965 I suppose),
>
> No, the modeset ioctl call patch. I thought the vbl_waited/pending
> fields were getting initialized and the only problem was the lack of
> that.
>
> > but clearly there's something wrong here since w/o this patch we end up
> > doing an absolute wait on a 0 vblank count. :)  Maybe I need to
> > initialize the vbl_pending/vbl_waited values somewhere else instead?
>
> Either that, or just disable this code in LOCK_HARDWARE() for the i965
> driver I suppose, if it doesn't support scheduled buffer swaps.
>
> Note that I'm not sure about the status of intel page flipping and
> scheduled swaps on the current master/gem branches, it may be better to
> hold off on adding those features until things have settled down there.

Yeah, I'm not sure either.  A lot of nice consolidation has happened, so
enabling scheduled swaps and page flipping on 965 doesn't seem too hard, but
for 7.1 that may be a little aggressive, since that may uncover more issues
than just the ones I found the other day.

I'll do some more testing and see if I can convince myself things are in good
enough shape, otherwise I'll just disable that code for 965 for now.

Thanks,
Jesse