On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 10:21 PM, Jesse Barnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 26, 2008 1:03 pm Stephane Marchesin wrote:
>> > As for the "new development model"... Things are actually worse than I
>> > thought.  There are some fairly large differences between linux-core and
>> > upstream, some of which have been in linux-core for a long time.  It's
>> > one thing to have an out-of-tree development process but another entirely
>> > to let stuff rot for months & years there.  It just adds to the already
>> > huge set of driver combinations we have to worry about and support...
>>
>> How is doing merges preventing us from working on a single tree ? It's
>> two completely separate problems.
>
> There are several problems, see the earlier thread "Adapt on_each_cpu" where
> we talked about the current dev process problems.

I am outlining the fact that you confuse a problem and its solution.

Problem: merging stuff upstream takes time to Dave
Your solution: have lots of in-development trees and everyone
upstreams its stuff which breaks other drivers and platforms
A possible solution: everyone upstreams its stuff from a common tree
which keeps other drivers and platforms working

Maybe there are other solutions, I don't know. In any case, I would
like to see a new model being agreed upon by the developers. I have
not seen such an agreement yet.

Stephane