2009/9/2 Michel Dänzer <mic...@daenzer.net>:
> On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 08:24 +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:
>>
>> btw: intel hw has some nice support for executing untrusted batchbuffers,
>> so no monsterous checker/relocater/munger already present.
>
> The radeon CS checker goes far beyond what the Intel hardware provides
> (and can provide, as e.g. it doesn't know the properties of buffer
> objects). Whereas on the Thinkpad with a GM45, Mesa driver bugs still
> result in GPU lockups (with a reboot being the only remedy) too often,
> on the PowerBook the radeon CS checker usually catches them and
> sometimes even helps find and fix the bug.
>

> That said, the suggestion to use command streams for the overlay doesn't
> make much sense to me. If that was a good idea, why aren't we doing
> modesetting that way?

Why are we doing 2D/3D accel with command buffers from userspace?  I
can see arguments either way for the overlay.  On the one hand, there
is a lot of state setup (scaling, csc transforms, lots of attributes,
etc.) which would seem to want to live in the accel driver.  On the
other hand, use of the overlay impacts the setup of the display fifos,
supported modes, and memory controller so at least some of it would be
better in the kernel.  To me, at least on radeon hw, userspace seems
like a better fit, but that may not always be the case with other
hardware.

Alex