FYI the legacy non-KMS path (nomodeset) is deprecated in kernel and
was recently dropped from the X driver. You should be able to use
fbset to change the resolution of your fbcon though.

~ C.

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Alan Stern <st...@rowland.harvard.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jan 2010, James Simmons wrote:
>

>> > When Fedora 12 loads i915 during initramfs probing on my system, the
>> > driver automatically installs a tiny 160x64 font.  How can I prevent it
>> > from doing this, or tell it to use a larger 80x25 font instead?
>> >
>> > Is this documented anywhere?
>>
>> Not really. Here is how you enable larger fonts. Configure your kernel. Go
>> into the Graphics support menu. This the the menu that has the
>> DRI/Framebuffer and backlight options. You will see a "Console display
>> driver support" option. Select it and you will have a new menu. You will
>> see the option "Select compiled-in fonts". Enable that and select the font
>> you want. Most likely it will be the Sun 12x22 font. Build your kernel.
>>
>> Their might be one more setup to do. Some distros like to load a console
>> font at boot up. Depending on the distro if that is the case you will have
>> to disable it.
>
> It turns out that preventing the mode switch is easier.  Finding it
> took a certain amount of digging, but the "nomodeset" kernel parameter
> prevents the console from leaving normal VGA mode.  If only it were
> documented...
>
> Alan Stern

Only fools are easily impressed by what is only
barely beyond their reach. ~ Unknown

Corbin Simpson
<mostawesomed...@gmail.com>